The caps lock on the keyboard is mostly used to type entire sentences in capital letters. Most of the time we don’t use the caps lock key apart from showing that we are angry in a chat. Even the shift key is being used sparingly these days because most of the word processing software and even search engines automatically make the letter at the start of the sentence into a capital letter.
When Google introduced their Chrome OS notebooks they have replaced the caps lock button on their keyboard with the search key which allows you to either search the web or your PC for files and notebooks with the touch of a button.
You can also do the same on your windows PC replace your caps lock key into a search button instead. We have prepared a guide for you that will allow you to convert your caps lock key into a search button without using any third party software in the background.
How To Remap Your Caps Lock Key Into Chrome OS Search Key
- You need to download and install sharpkeys then click on add button.
- Now you have to map the caps lock key to a key that you rarely use. For the purpose of this guie we will use the F10 key which is rarely used but you can assign any key as long as its rarely used.
- You need to create a shortcut which you can launch by pressing F10. On your desktop right click and scroll to New and then click on shortcut.
- You need to create a chrome OS styled search key which will search Google so in the location box enter http://google.com/
- If you use Bing or yahoo for your searches then you can enter the address of their website instead.
- Now you can name the shortcut anything you want. For convenience lets name it Google search
- Now right click the shortcut that you just created and click on properties.
- In properties click on web document tab and you will see the F10 key listed in the shortcut key box. Replace the F10 key with Caps lock key. Click ok to save your changes.
- Now whenever you press caps lock key it launch the Google search.
There you have a simple guide that will allow you to launch Google search with caps lock button just as you would in Chrome OS.
Do let us know if you know of any other way with which you can map your unused key to launch your favorite applications on your PC.