Every time you log in to your windows 7 computer first you are greeted with a log on screen. You can customize the log on screen with your own wallpaper to make it more interesting,
You can do it easily without the use of any third party software as the setting to change the log on screen is hidden in the windows 7 settings. To make the log on screen more interesting and not boring we have prepared a guide for you that will allow you to change the logon screen of your windows 7.
How To Enable Custom Backgrounds
- This feature is disabled by default so you need to enable it from the registry editor. So launch the registry editor by typing regedit in the search box of start menu
- Once in the registry editor you need to navigate to the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionAuthenticationLogonUIBackground
- Once you have arrived at your destination you have to find a DWORD value which is called OEMBACKGROUND.
- If you cant find it then right click on right side of the window and point to new submenu and create a new DWORD value the name OEMBACKGROUND
- Once you select the theme from the personalization windows will reset the registry value. Every time you select a theme the DWORD value will be resetted so you need to tweak the registry every time you set a new theme.
- To make the changes more permanent you need to edit the group policy editor which is only accessible in the professional editions of the window
- If you are using a professional version of the window then launch the group policy editor by typing gpredit.msc in the search box of start menu
- After entering the group policy editor navigate to Computer ConfigurationAdministrative TemplatesSystemLogon
- There you will see a setting called Always use custom login background so double click it to enable it.
How To Set An Image In The Logon Screen
- Before we proceed you must make sure that the image you are about to use must be less than 256kb in size and also it should match the resolution of your monitor to avoid image distortions
- Navigate to C:WindowsSystem32oobe and create the folders info and enter it to create backgrounds folder so the resulting pathway should be C:WindowsSystem32oobeinfobackgrounds
- Now you need to copy the desired picture to the folder background that you have just created and rename the image file to backgroundDefault.jpg
- The moment you do the effect should be immediate no need to reboot your PC. Just logout and login to see your image in the logon screen.
So there you have a simple way with which you can customize the otherwise boring logon screen of windows 7. You can put any image you like but make sure to match the resolution and size.
So do let us know if you know of any other way with which you can customize the logon screen of windows 7.