There are times when you need to connect to the internet for number of reasons but there is no Wi-Fi available but you have 3G or 4G connection available but let’s face it not all the device carry the 3G or 4G modems. Only your smartphone is able to take advantage of these connections.
So what to do and you really need to use the internet through your tablet or laptop. In such cases you can improvise and use your smartphones 3G or 4G connection to connect your laptop or tablet to the internet and complete your objectives.
This guide will help you to turn your smartphone into a Wi-Fi hotspot that will allow other devices to connect to your android smartphone and use the 3G connection to browse the internet. You can even set up a password and other security measure that will prevent other devices from accessing your hotspot connection.
A word of caution using your 3G connection as hotspot uses a lot of data so you should use this option only if you are on unlimited data plan.
How To Set Up The Hotspot In Your Phone
- Go to Settings and tap on more which below the Wi-Fi option to access the portable hotspot options if you’re using android 4.0 and above.
- This portable hotspot that you are creating can be given some security measure. You can change the security key to any of your choice but leaving the default is the best choice as it doesn’t involve any complication when accessing your hotspot connection from any other device. You can either use a randomly generated password that the device offers or you can input a password of your choice.
- The hotspot is just like any other Wi-Fi connection the more number of device access the connection the performance of the connection drops as the bandwidth becomes severely constricted. You can manage the number of devices that are connecting to your hotspot by tapping on the Manage users.
- To activate your hotspot just tap on it and it will be turned on. To locate this hotspot just do a search for Wi-Fi devices from your laptop or any other Wi-Fi enabled devices. To connect just input the password that you have assigned to the connection.
- To hide your hotspot from other users just tap on the menu button and tap on advanced settings through which you can hide the SSID or router names. You can even select the power mode to choose the power saving options.
There you have a simple guide with which you can use your android powered smart phone as a portable hotspot device. This option uses a lot of battery power so use it only in emergencies.
Let us know what you think about this portable spot option and also how was the performance of your device.