CyanogenMod Rom is one of the most popular aftermarket custom ROM that is available and provides the vanilla android user experience with the performance to match. Many experienced users prefer to flash their android device with the cyanogenmod ROM.
CyanogenMod ROM is popular because they frequently release updates and patches that keeps the whole android experience smooth and fun. Being a custom ROM it also comes with a number of features that allow you to have complete control over your android device.
Recently they have released the Android 4.2 update and also they have included an over the air updater which notifies you when a new version of the ROM is available which then downloads and installs it for you without you searching for the 0.01 version that has been released.
We have prepared a guide for you that will allow you to install CyanogenMod ROM 10.1 with Android 4.2 in your device. A word of caution before installing the custom ROM make sure that your device is rooted. Rooting voids the warranty of your device so it is done at your own risk.
How To Install Android 4.2 Via CyanogenMod ROM
- Make sure your device is rooted because then you can make a backup of the current ROM that you are using and also install backup apps such as Titanium backup that requires root access to your device. Make a backup of all the apps that you have in your device with the hell of Titanium backup.
- Go to www.cyanogenmod.org to locate your device from the list and download the latest version of the android 4.2 ROM. Also download the Google’s standard apps which is available as gapps.
- After the download is complete connect your device to your desktop with the USB cable and transfer the files to your memory card. The ROM will be in the form of a zipped file so do not unzip it just copy paste the file into your memory card.
- Now you need to boot into recovery mode of your device with a combination of buttons. Each android device has their own unique combination of buttons that are pressed to boot into recovery.
- Once in recovery you need to perform a complete NAND droid backup of you current ROM so that if something goes wrong you can just restore your previous ROM through recovery.
- Then scroll down and select wipe data/factory reset and confirm. This will not affect the data that is stored in your memory card.
- After you have performed the wipe now scroll down and select install zip from sdcard and then pick the location where you copied the ROM file that you have downloaded. After you selected the rom file the flashing will begin wait for a few minutes for the flashing to complete.
- After the ROM has finished flashing you may need to install Google’s standard apps separately if you have downloaded them. Again select the install zip from sdcard and select the gapps and install.
- Now boot your phone and sign in using your Google account and restore the app data and also restore the apps using Titanium backup.
- Now go to settings menu and locate the CM updater and set it up so that it alerts you whenever new CM updates are available.
There you go a simple guide that will enable you to install android 4.2 via cyanogenmod rom.
Do let us know what you think about this custom ROM and any other feature that will make using this ROM more fun.