There are many apps and programs that you install on your desktop and most of them allow you to install a chrome extension thus allowing you to access their service much quicker. But sometimes you don’t want those extension to be present in chrome as they take up valuable space or are downright ugly.
The difficult part is you are not able to uninstall most of these extension. The extension which are even difficult to remove or hide are the Ask toolbar and the java security updates. So to remove these annoying extension from your chrome we have prepared an easy to follow guide that will allow you to remove these extension which chrome doesn’t even allow you to remove.
How To Manually Uninstall A Chrome Extension
- If the extension is behaving properly then you can easily remove it from the control panel uninstall program. Ask toolbar extension appears in the uninstall program list which can be removed with the click of uninstall button.
- In your start menu type regedit and press enter. This will open the registry editor and locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareGoogleChromeExtensions (On 32-bit versions of Windows), HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareWow6432NodeGoogleChromeExtensions (On 64-bit versions of Windows)
- Each folder of the key represents the extensions that are installed in chrome.
- You can open each key and see which kind of extension it is. If you locate any extension which you didn’t install then to remove it just delete its key by right clicking it and select delete.
- To complete the extensions file from your computer navigate to its folder in your drive and then delete the entire folder after locating it.
- If you couldn’t locate a particular extension from registry then open your chrome user data folder and enter the following address in the windows explorer address bar %LOCALAPPDATA%GoogleChromeUser Data
- Now you need to open the profile folder which is generally named default and it should be in a folder in the following address C:UsersNAMEAppDataLocalGoogleChromeUser DataDefaultExtensions
- In this folder you will notice quite a few folder of extension if you have installed many extensions in chrome. So to get an extension ID enable the developer mode from extension page and you can view the extension ID of a particular extension after selecting it.
- Locate the folder with the same ID and then delete it. Restart chrome and you will see that the extension has been removed.
There you have an easy guide that will allow you to manually remove an extension from chrome and thus prevent any malicious extension from running in the background.
Do let us know if you know of any other way with which the extensions can be removed from chrome.
Others are searching for:
- manually remove chrome extensions