Recently apple have introduced many devices that improves our entertainment needs and one such device is apple TV which is the best device for streaming content from your media server on to your MAC or smart TV.
But if you don’t like the apple ecosystem then the device is practically useless. So we have prepared a guide for you that will allow you to install an alternate media player such as XBMC on your apple TV which allow you to play any and all kinds of files.
How To Install XBMC Media Player On Apple TV
1. For this process to work you need to jail break your apple TV. Download the appropriate jail break tool and then follow the instructions.
2. Next you need to install XBMC via SSH which was installed during jailbreak process. The jailbreak will allow you to use the username and password alpine so use it to establish your first connection
3. Now you need to enter the following command apt-get install wget this will allow you to download files from command line
4. Copy and paste the following commands one at a time which will allow you to download XBMC.
- wget -O- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add -
- echo “deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
- echo “deb http://mirrors.xbmc.org/apt/atv2 ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
5. The following command will allow you to update your packages and also install the latest version of the XBMC.
- apt-get update
- apt-get install org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2
6. You can then add different skin or plugins for the apple TV. You can even use XBMC to stream contents and offers much flexibility than the apple software which was previously installed.
There you have a simple guide that will allow you to install XBMC on your apple TV and enjoy unlimited streaming to your device.
If you know of any other media player that you can install on your apple TV easily then do let us know.