There are times when you can’t just remember your windows password no matter what you try but you can’t just log into your windows account. IN one of our previous posts we mentioned how to use the Ubuntu disc or Ubuntu flash drive to reset your windows password and log in.
But what if you don’t have Ubuntu disc or flash disc with you then what? You can’t wait for your friend to get to you or maybe your friends don’t have the Ubuntu installation disc. Don’t worry because we have prepared a guide for you that will enable you to reset your windows password without the need for any kind of Reset disc.
How To Reset Password Without Reset Disc
- If you have windows installation disc with you then boot your PC with the windows installation disc
- After the setup files have loaded select your language and then click on Next
- In the following window look for repair your computer option
- After you click repair your computer select the OS you want to repair and make a note of the drive letter in which the OS is installed and click next
- From the list of recovery tools click on command prompt
- After command prompt opens type C:windowssystem32sethc.exe C: and press enter
- After pressing enter type copy /y c:windowssystem32cmd.exe c:windowssystem32sethc.exe and press enter
- Exit the command prompt by typing exit and pressing enter.
- Reboot your PC and the login screen tap Shift five times which will cause the command prompt window to popup
- Type net user and then enter your username and any password of your choice which will replace your old password
- Exit the command prompt and then use the new password to log in to your windows
- To prevent any other users from using the same trick and logging in to your windows replace the sticky keys follow the instructions from step 1 to step 5
- Once your in step 5 in command prompt type copy /y c:sethc.exe c:windowssystem32sethc.exe and press enter
- Exit the command prompt and reboot your PC and your done.
Congratulations not only you have replaced the original function of the shift key but also now you can change your windows password without the need for any reset disc which makes life very easy.
You have to just remember the command and you can do this process for any windows installation as long as you have the windows installation disc with you.
Do let us know if there any other ways with which you can reset your windows password without the need for any disc or any other complex procedures.