Rooting an android device allows you to have complete control over your android device including the ability to perform complete backup of you current android OS and also allowing you to install custom OS in your android device.
But rooting voids the warranty of your device and also many users are not familiar with the way of rooting or simply do not wish to root their device. So we have prepared a guide for you that will allow you to backup your android device without the need to root your device.
For the purpose of this guide all you need is your computer and an android device running android 4.0 or above.
How To Backup Your Android Device Without Rooting
- Download and install Oracle java development kit
- Download and install Android SDK from Google. Its available for free
- Launch the SDK manager and enable android SDK platform tools. Click install to install the platform tool package which contain adb
- Now on your android device enable USB debugging which is found under the developers options in your settings menu.
- Connect your device to the computer using the USB cable and wait for the drivers to finish installing.
- Now on your computer navigate to the folder where you have installed android SDK and then to platform tools. Once there select adb.exe hold shift and right click it and select open command window here.
- To see whether adb communicates with your device or not enter the following command adb devices. If your device is communicating then you should see a list of devices attached. If you don’t see the list then it means the drivers for your device has not installed properly.
- To backup everything on your device use the following command adb backup -apk -shared -all -f C:UsersNAMEbackup.ab
- This command will backup all your installed apps and also the data on your SD card to the C:UsersNAMEbackup.ab folder.
- The backup may take a while to complete as the time depends on how much data is there on your android phone or tablet.
- If you want to restore a backup after connecting your device and running adb enter the following command adb restore C:UsersNAMEbackup.ab
- You will be asked whether you want to perform a full restore this will replace all the current files on your device with the files present in the backup.
There you have an easy guide that will allow you to backup your android device with the need for rooting.
If you know any other method with which you backup your device without rooting it then do let us know.